Friday, 5 September 2014

Do you believe in miracles? I do.

Good morning!

 

I mentioned in my last update that I was to have an appointment with the oncologist today to review all my scan results.  Unfortunately, I have been bumped.  My appointment is now on the 12th.  That being said, I feel I should let you know the reason I wanted to speak with him before I announced what the “lack” of information was on my reports.  I can’t wait another week to let you know, at the same time, I ask that when you read this, you remember that I have no idea what my next steps are and to continue to think positive thoughts, as I am doing, until I speak with the oncologist. 

 

When I say “lack” of information… in past updates, I provided you with measurements, numbers, etc.  In this case, there are no measurements or numbers.  The FDG (the radioactive sugar syrup) that was pumped into me, did not show up on the scanner.  They were unable to locate any tumour, lesions or nodules.

The PET Scan report is quoted as:  “No definite FDG avid abnormality is identified on this study to localize residual or metastatic FDG avid malignancy.  There is no pretreatment study to confirm that this patient’s colonic carcinoma is indeed FDG avid although that is likely.  Findings could represent an excellent response to intervening therapy.  There are no suspicious FDG avid abnormalities seen on this study.”

In a nutshell, the PET scan didn’t find anything.  Now, they do mention that there is the possibility that my cancer was not susceptible to the serum – apparently that can happen.  There is no test study to ensure that my strain of cancer would gobble it up.

 

Now, just to confuse matters a little more, the bone scan also came up negative.  To quote:  “All views demonstrate a normal distribution of skeletal tracer update for age.  No evidence of skeletal metastases.”

They could not locate the lesion on my pelvic bone. This scan was done with a dye – not a serum.  So again, a different scan process.

 

Everything comes in threes they say, so in addition to those two pieces of information, the pathology report that came back from the colonoscopy biopsy, also came up negative.

To quote:  “It is unclear if there is an actual mass in this area remaining.  I suspect there is and that it is not visible due to angulation and kinking of the bowel.  I biopsied as best I could.  Perhaps a CT scan and PET scan, which have been ordered, will shed some light on the area.  However, in the event a reversal with resection is undertaken, the distal 60-80 cm, at least, are free of disease.”

This means, the surgeon could not locate the tumour.  He believes there could be something there, but was waiting for the PET scan results.  Another positive in this report, is that I may be able to qualify for a reversal of my ileostomy.   

 

Again, what I post for you today, are results of tests that I haven’t had a chance to clarify with the doctors.  I have a pretty good grasp on the English language and if I am reading what it says, than there is reason to believe that our prayers have been answered.  I understand that metastatic cancer does not disappear.  I am fully prepared that the oncologist will inform me that the statistics of recurrence or progression will always be there.  BUT… I also believe that cancer can be controlled or can remain dormant. 

I did receive chemo treatment this week.  It wasn’t a great round – but today is a new day.  I don’t know if chemo and shots will disappear from my daily life or not.  I pray it will, but for now, I am still taking life one day at a time. 

 

Do you believe in miracles?  I do. 

 

Love, Angela xox

 


1 comment: