Tuesday, 11 February 2014

How far can you go?

Sorry for the silence.  I’ve just been riding out the chemo treatments as I get them.  Not a tonne of riveting new information either, but I did have my follow up appointments last week.
 
I met with my Oncologist on Friday and he’s very pleased with how I am managing the treatments.  To be honest, he was very excitable, as I gained 4 lbs since our last meeting.  He attributes this to me finally eating.  Ha ha!  Little does he believe that I eat all day and can still out-eat most people around me.  My healthy eating lifestyle change just increased my metabolism and there really isn’t a lot of calories to be had.  So I’ve upped my avocado intake and graze on nuts and grains throughout the day.  My appetite has not been ruined, and that’s a good thing.   He says I’m his favourite patient, but I suspect that’s because I’m one of the few that actually smile and are genuinely pleased to see him when he enters the examining room.  My next CT Scan will be scheduled approximately 6 weeks from now. 
 
I did meet with the surgeon at St. Paul’s Hospital that outfitted me with my Ileostomy.  He was also very encouraged by my progress and although my Oncologist doesn’t believe that a reversal of my “goody bag” is possible, nor does he think that removing any of the lesions are possible, the surgeon hasn’t ruled it out.  To quote him:  “After that dismal outcome we gave you when you left the hospital, and looking at your records and results on paper, I have no right to take hope away from you.  You’ve showed that anything is possible.”  He of course couldn’t make any promises, but he does want to see me again in 6 months to see how things are going.
 
Had a chance to drop in on my Naturopath over the weekend to pick up some more protein powder and drops.  She is also very happy about my progress.  For as much as the chemo is considered to be doing some good, realistically is really bad and creates the ugly – I’ve been holding my own.  My hair is growing.  Still baby fine and GREY (actually more salt than pepper, I believe is the correct phrase)... but it’s hair.  And it’s mine. 
 
I had another beautiful weekend with family this weekend... I have such amazing family and friends that it blows my mind!  I am so appreciative, grateful and humbled by everyone’s love and support.  Thank you... thank you... thank you... a million times over.
 
I’m headed for chemo treatment tomorrow.  I’ve been booked on Tuesday due to Monday being a holiday. I anticipate a series of naps this week and I’m really beginning to enjoy them.  Wasn’t kidding when I said they’re my new Happy Hour.  I’ll send out an A.P.B. once I’ve passed my blood tests and am a go for hook up. 
 
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, surrounded with love, laughter and little bit of lunacy (just to keep things into perspective). 
 
Cheers! Angela xox
 
“Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go,
just remember how far you have come.
Remember everything you have faced,
all the battles you have won,
and all the fears you have overcome.”
                        Author Unknown
 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful to hear!!!!

    I'm not surprised that you're a favourite. I was blown away by the strong, purposeful light in your eyes. You still emanate joy and love -- now more than ever.

    It was amazing to see you. I just wanted to sit there, touching your arm, anything, to soak you all in. But it's left me wanting more. (Meh, so I'm greedy.)

    You keep doing what you're doing! Looking good and shining SO bright. Love you.

    ReplyDelete