Alas, my neutrophil count was not high enough so I did not receive treatment today. I actually scored a 0.9 (lower than Sunday’s level of 1.1). But that’s okay. It is what it is.
It seems that my body does not like to be “poisoned” with toxins and even though I fared well with the side effects from the two rounds of chemo I have already received, my body is having a hard time replenishing the white blood cells as per the protocol schedule. I have been given another week to recuperate and will go for a retest on Monday morning. If I make the 1.5 threshold, I will receive my third treatment. IF I don’t make the cut, I have the option to go forward with a drug called Neupogen. This drug will assist my bone marrow in reproducing the necessary neutrophils to allow me to receive chemo. This drug comes in the form of a shot and I would have to administer it to myself daily for 5 consecutive days, starting on day 3 of my chemo cycle.
I am staying positive and know that my body will bounce back. They say the body is stronger than the mind as the mind is usually the first to give up. For anyone that knows me, you know that once my mind is made up, there is very few that can change it. So between my body and my mind, how can I lose? In any case, if I cannot get my body to regenerate, we still have Plan B (the Neupogen) and if need be, there are 25 other letters left in the alphabet for me to use.
But wait! There’s more... and I am pleased to provide you with the good news portion of this program. When I go for my lab tests, aside from measuring all my blood counts, protein levels, etc.. I am also tested for Tumour Markers. Their professional names go by CA 125 and CA 19-9XR. The norm for these two tests are <35 and <37. I did receive some very encouraging results from my visit at the cancer agency this morning, and that is this:
On June 19 the tumour markers were 63 and 143. As of this morning, they are now 11 and 15.
What does all that mean? I hesitate to say the tumour has shrunk, because only a CT Scan can determine that and I am not scheduled to have one for another 6 weeks. But with only two treatments, it seems the chemo is working as the tumour levels are lower. I have always said that I will get through this with the power of medicine, my determination and God. I have only had two treatments (one with a missing ingredient and the second at a lower dosage). I firmly believe that all your prayers have been loud enough to make a difference. You can call me crazy... but in my own little world, I’m happy and everyone knows me here. So please keep your prayers, your good karma and your love coming. I’m not out of the woods yet, but I see a path... and that’s a good thing.
Angela xox

Angela! This is amazing to hear -- thank you so much for sharing. Hope your neutrophils go up (how the heck do you remember all these details?) and your t-markers keep going down.
ReplyDeleteBeen sending you a storm of positive karma and love. We'll take a glimmer on the path!
LOVE your cliff shot too!
You make me smile.
Love, Bo