Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Round 10, unbelievably!

Ding!  Round 10!
I have the usual side effects that now come the first week, but I try not to dwell on those.  After the first hour is over, its over.  On to the next one and then the next and the one after that.  And before I now it, Wednesday arrives and I get disconnected.  Of course, the 10 day gambit of needles following that isn't my favourite either, but again, the days fly by and the following Wednesday comes and the needles are over too.  Life as I know it, comes in two week intervals now, but there's always goodness and blessings and wonderment that comes during those weeks that just blows the sadness, the madness and ugliness away.  So yesterday was a good day... And not just because I received treatment. Although that in its own warped way is good. Yesterday was good because of all the additional goodness that came along with it.

Like a child with a report card of straight A's, my bloodwork came back and my numbers are "normal". I am within range for everything... Including the neutrophils. I scored a whopping 2.4 which for me is huge!  Being within range for me hasn't happened since May. Yay me!... and a small round of applause for the Neupogen shots, as I know they assist in the numbers.

I was also surprised when I got home with a message from the hospital. I have a date with the CT Scanner on December 23rd. That in itself is an early Christmas gift, because I just might get the results before the New Year (fingers crossed the Oncologist won't be on vacation). And depending on those results, I may be given a body break.  And, no, that the '80s cheesy commercial with bad hair and tights.  This type of body break means I could be given a rest from chemo.

After 10 rounds, I could use a break. I don't know the details of how long a break I can have or what any of it would entail. That is a discussion to be had with the doctor which is booked for December 13th... My baby girl's birthday.  She may not be a baby anymore, but she will always be MY baby. We were blessed with her on that day.  Praying God gives us another on that same date.

This Christmas will be like no other. I love the feeling of the holidays - not just for the gathering with family and friends but because of the true spirit of Christmas - peace, love and goodwill to all.  What the heck... throw in a great glass of wine and you're bathed in richness. But this Christmas will be one that I cherish and enjoy and soak in every moment. NOT because it will be my last. But because it will be the first of MANY MORE to come. Too often we get caught up in the preparation of the holidays and forget to reap the benefits of special moments. I don't have to be told twice: enjoy the here and the now. Because you don't always get a second chance.  Those odds that the doctors gave me 8 months ago, seem to be in my favour.  And that makes this day and all the days that follow, a good day.

May God grant you always...
A sunbeam to warm you,
A moonbeam to charm you,
A sheltering Angel so nothing can harm you.
Laughter to cheer you,
Faithful friends near you,
and whenever you pray,
Heaven to hear you.

love, Angela xox 

1 comment:

  1. You make me cry, but for good reasons. I have said this before, but you are amazing and I am so in awe of your wonderfulness and strength and so very proud of you and happy for you and your attitude. You're amazeballs. Universe: you keep this one around!!!!!

    ReplyDelete