Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Big Update

A more detailed update as to the CT Scan results and the outcome of my appointment with the Oncologist today.

 

The technical details of my scan reads as follows:

·         The lesion on my liver is unchanged in appearance. (Yay!)

·         The spleen, pancreas, adrenal glands and kidneys are unremarkable (which in this case would mean clear).  I personally feel that everyone is remarkable.  They should really use different verbiage when dictating these reports.

·         There is no evidence of bowel obstruction or perforation.  It does not state which bowel (large or small intestine), at any rate, there is no mention of the original tumour. (Yay!)

·         The peritoneal nodules identified in the left lower quadrant have decreased in size.  The largest and previously measured 9mm is now 6 mm. (Yay!)

·         The osseous structures (the lesion on my right sacral bone) demonstrates no significant interval change.  That’s fancy talk for no change in size.  (Yay!)

·         The uterus is bulky and now contains multiple small oval and round hypodensities which presumably represent large fibroids.  (Boo!)  I was made aware of a large fibroid on my uterus when this ordeal began, but it seems I have acquired a few more.  They are quite uncomfortable (let’s be honest, freaking painful at times) and my abdomen swells now and again (also uncomfortable).  But the Oncologist will not discuss the option of remove the fibroids nor will there be discussion of removing my uterus.  Doing so would entail a much longer break from chemo and that’s not an alternative in his world.  I haven’t closed the book on this.  I’ve just decided to skip that chapter and will return to it at a later date.

 

In the matter of a chemo break … that was discussed and he is granting me a break.  In as much as I am excited to say that I am getting one, it wasn’t the one I was anticipating.  I am scheduled for chemo on June 30th.  Round 24.  Not the kick start to the month of July as I had planned in my mind.  I have been granted a two week break so that I can go on holiday with Steve and the kids and then I will be scheduled back to chemo the first week of August.  My brain immediately computed that I had the month of July off!  Yay me!  But, I’ve always been slow at math and when I had a chance to review our conversation later this afternoon, I realize that I lose the first two weeks on recovery and all I am getting is a missed treatment.  Steve has come up with a brilliant solution so I will call the Oncologist tomorrow and ask if he will consider moving my return chemo to the second week in August.  Then, I would get four full weeks to recover from my last treatment. 

 

I am asking for a break so that my body can recover from the chemo treatments and give me some time to rejuvenate my good cells.  I have an appointment with my Naturopath tomorrow.  She has also been waiting for me to receive a chemo holiday so that she can assist me in this.

 

I have an appointment with the surgeon on July 15th.  It’s my routine 6 month update – just to keep my file open should that day come when he can remove the remaining lesions and growths.  And what the heck… let’s reverse the ileostomy while I’m on the table.  I will also be bringing with me a generous donation towards colon cancer research on behalf of my son and his wonderful friends.  I wrote last year that Josef’s buddy made Duct Tape Roses and sold them as part of his Entrepreneurial Fair project.  This year, Josef’s class had to do the same.  After marketing and selling their product, they were to donate a portion of their sales to a charity of their choice… and I am humbled that these young men chose to support Josef in his quest to donate to Colon Cancer Canada’sTop to Bottom Campaign.

 

As it is officially the start of summer!  I wish you all a wonderful summer filled with fun filled moments with family and friends, exciting adventures, memorable nights and lazy days… all that and so much more so that you can pull out those beautiful memories in later days and laugh and smile.  Happiness is good for the soul.

 

Love, Angela

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I love you truly madly deeply
    you brave courageous woman!!!!

    Love and Light

    ReplyDelete