What a year it’s been! I can’t believe that it’s already been a year since my last surgery… I continue to have many ups and downs but I’m managing them. Steve and I have succumbed to the cold and flu that the kids had been battling, just in time for Christmas. We are trying to muster energy and enthusiasm to finalize the last of the holiday “chores” and today’s is gift wrapping. I attempted going for an “old fashioned Christmas” and made most of my gifts this year. It was wonderful to let out my creative inspiration… it was a pleasure that I denied myself over the last couple of years for the simple fact that I needed to focus my energies elsewhere and physically, I wasn’t up to the task. Well, I have challenged myself this holiday, and my hands and arms ache, but I’m happy with myself. It’s hard to be down when Hope is staring you in the face.
These past few weeks have been tumultuous emotionally as we’ve received news that loved ones have passed on, lost their battle with cancer or were taken quickly without warning in an accident; there have been too many to count that were given the news that they have cancer and their lives are now changed forever. It’s hard to digest and accept any type of news like that, especially around Christmas, but it still hits just as hard regardless of the time of year. There are no answers, no simple explanations, I have none to offer as I sometimes still can’t fathom what I’ve been going through. And truth be told, I haven’t really taken into account the severity of my situation until now. You go through survival mode – I thought it was denial, but it wasn’t; because in the end what you’re doing is trying to survive. And then there’s the Post Traumatic Stress that follows… the aftermath sometimes is more raw and heart-wrenching than the survival period. Nothing in life is easy and nothing in life comes with guarantees. We were not promised a perfect life and we sometimes forget that. But, with Strength, Courage, Wisdom and Faith, you have a good start. Load in a dollop of Love, Friendship, Kindness and Generosity… well life just got a little sweeter. Seal it with Gratitude, Mindfulness and Thankfulness… now you can survive just about anything.
I made a mindful promise to honour those that came before me and those that left before me… to honour who I came from and to honour myself for what I have accomplished – not just battling cancer, but also my true legacy… my family. I honour those who have passed and pray that they have found peace. I honour those who are going through their own battles and pray that they find comfort and strength to continue on and survive.
In keeping with tradition, I am including My Christmas Wish For You… it’s become one that I love sending out and the fact that I am still sending it, makes me more thankful than ever! May you have a beautiful and blessed Christmas, may the New Year bring only love, peace, health and happiness to all, and may you know that your friendships, prayers, love and support are treasured and cherished above all.
My Christmas Wish For You
by Ruth Kephart
My Christmas wish for you, my friend
Is not a simple one
For I wish you hope and joy and peace
Days filled with warmth and sun
I wish you love and friendship too
Throughout the coming year
Lots of laughter and happiness
To fill your world with cheer
May you count your blessings, one by one
And when totaled by the lot
May you find all you've been given
To be more than what you sought
May your journeys be short, your burdens light
May your spirit never grow old
May all your clouds have silver linings
And your rainbows pots of gold
I wish this all and so much more
May all your dreams come true
May you have a Merry Christmas friend
And a happy New Year, too ..
No comments:
Post a Comment