I should be sitting in a chair right now at Fraser Centre, receiving my second round of chemo. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Steve and I arrived there this morning, only to be told that my chemo is delayed due to the lab results of yesterday’s blood work. My neutrophils count is low.
White blood cells (specifically neutrophils) are lowered by chemotherapy, making it more difficult for your body to fight off bacterial infections. These cells are at their lowest point halfway through a cycle of chemo. An acceptable level of neutrophil counts to receive chemo is 1.5; yesterday I registered at 1.2 and was sent to the lab for re-testing when we arrived. As of this morning I am at 0.8, which means my body is still fighting the effects of the chemo. In a nutshell, chemo has been delayed a week.
I will not lie to you ... I was upset. But as quickly as the upset came that is just how fast it disappeared. Driving home, I was reminded to focus on my breathing today... breathing is good – not only calms the mind, but cancer hates oxygen. Staring out the window, I was also thrown back to just last night when I connected with my cousin in California. She was emailing me at the exact time when I called her. Fate works in mysterious ways.... She was emailing me to pass on a beautiful prayer that seems to have found me just when I needed something ... to be reminded of what I already knew ... something to allow me to handle today.
Saint Theresa’s Prayer
May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle into your bones,
and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.
So, I am writing to tell you that I am fine. I will deal with this “delay” just as I have dealt with everything so far. I will take one day at a time, continue to have Faith and when I cannot deal any longer, I will give my worries to God for him to take on for me. I am exactly where I am supposed to be... and it will only go up from here. After all, there are infinite possibilities ahead.
Enjoy the sunshine folks! I know I will.
Angela xox
I love that prayer
ReplyDeleteit really says it all
love you friend
love and light
Love you!!! Breathing is excellent.
ReplyDelete